On photos

Rick
This post was updated on .
I have found a need to wipe the info that pictures carry when I post a picture online.

Mainly the gps location.

More than a few people have asked me to not take or post a picture of their car, motorbike, house or possession.

They are concerned, rightly so, of criminals using the properties encoded in a picture posted can find them, or their possessions, and steal from or harm them.

I know, there are sites and apps that offer programs for this.

But, to be brutally honest, I for one don’t trust anything on the internet anymore. Sad but true.

Sometimes when posting to my website, my Nabble website,
a pic will come up sideways.  90 degrees off.

I’ve found, to get around this, I can pull up that pic on my screen.  Then take a screenshot of that pic, and post from my “screenshots” album, and it will be the correct orientation.

This is using iOS.

Does anyone know, if one takes a pic, pulls it up on his or hers screen, then takes a screenshot, at a different location,
say, 2 miles away in a vacant field or parking lot,
that would then change the properties info, mainly the gps info, on that pic.

Could you then post that pic on, let’s say, eBay or Craigslist,
and not give the actual gps address, of the original pic, for all the world to see?

Many thanks in advance to any feedback from the good people here at Nabble.

Sincerely, Rick

Re: On photos

Gary Lewis
Rick - I've tried taking screenshots via my iPhone 14 Pro Max and I'm not seeing GPS info.

But I'm going to try a test here to see about the GPS info on an actual picture taken via the camera on that phone.  First, here's a pic that I know has the GPS info in it, and all I've done is to open it in Photoshop and scale it down so I can post it here - without any scaling on the Nabble upload.

Then I'm going to upload it again with Big selected on the scaling.

And after posting I'm going to download the pics that are posted and look at the file info.

866 KB file:

File uploaded as Big:
I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/

Re: On photos

Gary Lewis
And in neither of those pics does there appear to be GPS data.  Here's what I find by downloading the 866 KB file:

I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/

Re: On photos

Rick
Ya there seems to be an uncertainty on when that data is installed on a pic.

Or, when it’s shown.

Using Apple, I only have phone and pad,
I don’t remember ever seeing “properties”.
But, when I had a desktop it was loaded with windows.
I think XP, all you needed to do was right click on the mouse and all that stuff popped right up.

Talking to a few just yesterday I mentioned it, most all of them said there’s an app for that.

I dunno what I’m gonna do.

Thx Gary👍

Re: On photos

Gary Lewis
The information isn't there to be shown.  As said, I opened the uploaded file with Photoshop and the properties are blank.  But when I open my version of the file all of the properties are there.  Apparently Nabble doesn't upload the metadata, just the pixels.
I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/