Requesting that SSL is turned on for my site

Requesting that SSL is turned on for my site

wigbate
Hi Israel,

With some help from this forum's excellent users, I have succeeded in giving my forum a custom domain.

I am now requesting that you implement SSL for me.

Here is the Nabble location of the my forum:
http://ez-animal-rights-forum.504.s1.nabble.com/
and the new address:
http://forum.ezanimalrights.com/
which you'll see is already working.

Now that I have a custom domain, could you please turn on SSL for me?

Thank you,
Max

Re: Requesting that SSL is turned on for my site

Israel <Nabble>
Administrator
The https protocol has been enabled as requested.

Re: Requesting that SSL is turned on for my site

wigbate
Thank you Israel.

It still isn't working (as you can see on https://www.ezanimalrights.com/forum.html) but I will bother GregChapman and Gary Lewis again to find out why - no idea.

Re: Requesting that SSL is turned on for my site

GregChapman
I can confirm that it's not working for me in the UK.

However, I notice that although wigbate says he's updated the Nabble embedding code, when I visit
https://www.ezanimalrights.com/forum.html
the link shows as
http://ez-animal-rights-forum.504.s1.nabble.com/

That suggests that something is cached somewhere, perhaps at Weebly and the update has not propagated across the DNS yet.

However, I don't think it's entirely that. If I edit the address of the forum to
https://ez-animal-rights-forum.504.s1.nabble.com/
I get a "not secure" warning. Firefox provides this further info

Firefox security warning

Even if I clear cookies and site data and refresh the page it still shows the security warning.

I think that means that either DNS propagation is taking an unusually long, and Nabble does warn it can be up to 48hrs or, if it doesn't resolve itself within 24hrs from now, I'd ask Israel to check that the certificate was generated correctly. (I know it can sometimes fail.)

Re: Requesting that SSL is turned on for my site

Gary Lewis
Did you save and publish on Weebly after you enabled SSL?  It is only when you publish that the change is made.
I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/

Re: Requesting that SSL is turned on for my site

wigbate
Ah, hopefully it is just Weebly or Nabble that hasn't caught up yet. Thank you for testing, too.

If it isn't resolved w/in 48 hours I will ask Israel if it may have failed.

Thanks again Greg!

Re: Requesting that SSL is turned on for my site

wigbate
Hi Gary (sorry - somehow just saw your reply for the first time),

Yes, I did. All SSL is enabled on the entire site, as you can see here, for example: https://www.ezanimalrights.com/forum.html

And yet still it shows only a link.

Is there a way for me to verify that SSL has indeed been turned on on Nabble's end? At this point I have no idea why this isn't working any more.

Re: Requesting that SSL is turned on for my site

wigbate
Hello Israel,

For some reason this still isn't working - https://www.ezanimalrights.com/forum.html .

I have followed all directions and we've both turned on https, but it's still just showing up as a link.

Do you have any idea what might be causing this?

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide,
Max

Re: Requesting that SSL is turned on for my site

Israel <Nabble>
Administrator
We have checked and your https is working properly for your custom domain "https://forum.ezanimalrights.com/". It's something on your side.

Re: Requesting that SSL is turned on for my site

wigbate
Thank you for checking - will see what I can do to fix on my end.

Re: Requesting that SSL is turned on for my site

wigbate
All works now! I changed the embedded code (on the site) again and changed the CNAME to include an "https" (not even sure if that is necessary)

@GaryLewis and @GregChapman - how can I thank you for the help + time? Very grateful. And thank you, Israel!

Excellent!
I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/

Re: Requesting that SSL is turned on for my site

GregChapman
Seeing your grateful is enough thanks for me!

Re: Requesting that SSL is turned on for my site

wigbate
Thanks guys.

Unfortunately, as of today it seems the https has been turned off on Nabble's side, and the problem is back.

The embedding code I see has now changed: ("EZ Animal Rights Forum
<script src="http://ez-animal-rights-forum.504.s1.nabble.com/embed/f1"></script>") and now no longer includes https, as it did yesterday.

Any idea why this might have happened?

Re: Requesting that SSL is turned on for my site

Gary Lewis
I believe that the certificates time out and Israel has to turn them back on.  I've had trouble with this for the last several months and, given the calendar, it should be set to happen again for me in about a month.

I go to the main section and post a new thread to ask Israel to turn on HTTPS.  That usually causes something to happen in the background and it magically works again in a few hours.

Having said that, I don't know why your certificate would have already timed out - unless it is done on a server basis rather than forum basis.
I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/

Re: Requesting that SSL is turned on for my site

wigbate
Thank you Gary. Is it just coincidence that it suddenly timed out right after it started working for the first time?

I will make a post soon, to ask Israel to make sure that HTTPS is actually turned on (again?).

Unfortunately it looks like HTTPS is now turned off on Nabble's end - am I right about this? (It links to a 404 page.)

Re: Requesting that SSL is turned on for my site

Gary Lewis
I don't know why it goes to a 404.  But Chrome sure doesn't like it when I click on your link as it says it isn't secure.

Try turning HTTPS off on Weebly and publish it to see if it works then.  If so you'll know that security is off on Nabble's end.
I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/

Re: Requesting that SSL is turned on for my site

wigbate
Good idea.

I turned off SSL on Weebly and then republished. It still isn't working. Does this mean it's something wrong on my end?

Re: Requesting that SSL is turned on for my site

Gary Lewis
By "it still isn't working" do you mean you get a 404?  If so then the link appears to be corrupted.  Go back and see what your forum says the embed code should be now?
I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/
12